Thursday, December 22, 2005

James Dungy, Dead at 18 yrs. old

Although I am an Eagles, fan having been born and raised in and around Philly, I must confess that my favorite coach in the entire NFL organization is Tony Dungy head coach of the Indianopolis Colts. A few days ago NFL.com posted a great article on Dungy's leadership style (I haven't been able to find the article. I bookmarked it on my desktop which is currently having video card issues). The article was nothing but positive yet what it failed to mention was Dungy's faith in Jesus Christ. I don't know much about Dungy's Christianity but one thing seems true is that it is public and evident to all who surround him. It is with much sadness then to learn of the death of his son James today. He was eighteen years old and was found dead in an apartment in the Tampa Bay area. There is no foul play suspected. Many in the NFL have offered their prayers and support. I cannot imagine loosing one of my children. I honestly don't even want to conjure the thought. Even though I don't know him and will probably never meet him I prayed for him and for his family. Even for a Christian, the loss of a child is devastating. He needs to be reassured of the hope of the gospel even more. I pray that this may be so. It is a sad day for a great man of God. May the Dungy family find rest in the one and only true rock of salvation. UPDATE: It is confirmed that James Dungy has committed suicide although they will not know the official cause of death for a few weeks. Upon reading the initial report of his death and given the fact that there was no foul play suspected I pretty much thought it was a suicide. More importantly than knowing what caused his death physically is why he chose to die. This is the awful burning question which will haunt his family for the rest of their lives.

No comments: