Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Founder's Response Part 1

Tom Ascol of Founders Ministries has begun his response to Bobby Welch's article based on Steve Lemke's writing titled, "The Future of Southern Baptists as Evangelicals." Here is my favorite quote:
I keep waiting for some Southern Baptist leader to stand up and declare honestly to the world that our denominational statistics are in many respects a sham, a lie and false advertizing. We are not "16 million strong." The FBI could not find half of them if we put them on the most wanted list. Take Brother Bobby's church, which is above average, for example. According to their website, their total membership is 4000 and average attendance is 2000 (I assume this latter number reflects the Sunday morning worship attendance and not the Wednesday night prayer meeting attendance). The typical Southern Baptist church has less than 40% of its total membership in attendance on any given Sunday MORNING.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Well, well, well, so you are still involved in the theological world I see (from all the good and updated links you have). I thought you going up to NY and having as many children as I have fingers, took you out of the loop. :)

Just jokin' I'll add you to my blog roll.

If you are not familiar with Steve Hays, you might want to check out his blog. He was (not sure if he still is) the teaching assistant for John Frame.

William E. Turner Jr. said...

Jeff:

Theology...what do you mean by theology?!? The more children I have the less time I have to study theology, but the more children I have the more important it is to study theology. If I wasn't Reformed already I would have no problem affirming Total Depravity - not after children! :)